Tuesday 26 August 2014

Huey goes to Butterley Station

Last week Noah came to see me and we had a trip to Butterley station, this week it was Huey's turn to spend some time with mama, I hadn't planned anything as the weather man said it was not going to be a good day, mostly rain. So it looked like we would be spending the day indoors playing and maybe doing some crafty things, both the boys like making things.

Huey was a little upset when mum went and so we had a cuddle while we decided what we were going to do, "Can I see the trains mama?", how could I refuse. So clothed in raincoats and wellies and armed with camera with card and charged battery (No card in it last week) we set out, we had just got through the gate when Huey said "I don't like rain", bless him he was upset again. I'm not surprised though as the wind was blowing in our faces and the rain was cold. I explained that we didn't have to go out we could in fact be in a nice warm house, having a nice warm cuppa, doing lovely things in the warm. No, Huey wanted to see the trains, "But I don't like the rain mama", "I'm sorry Huey I can't do anything about the rain". Eventually we arrive at the bus stop which I might add doesn't have a bus shelter, I shielded him as much as possible, of course the bus was ten minutes late. "I don't like the rain mama", "You can be happy in the rain Huey", said I smiling through chattering teeth, "I don't like happy in the rain!!!!". Hurrah here comes the bus.

Huey was much happier now we were finally on our way, fortunately we didn't have to wait at the station for the train as one was about to leave as we arrived. I had forgotten it was bank holiday so  it was a special day, they had a Victorian theme.


We got off at Swanwick museum and had to tackle the rain again, we had lunch in the cafe, Huey had a children's picnic bag, jam mmmmmm, there were toys in the corner and so he had a play, finding a toy mobile phone he promptly called his mummy. "Mummy, mummy, mummy, mummy"........ "It's mummy" :)


 When we went out the rain had subsided so it wasn't too bad. Huey had a paddle in every puddle and so it took us awhile to reach the shed were the trains are kept.


 He was thrilled with all the trains but his favourite was the yellow one. 


We went up and down every isle with lots of "Wows".


Every puddle had to be paddled on the way back and so it took awhile again.


We had to go over the bridge to get the steam train to return to Butterley. Oh how I hate those metal steps, Huey "It's okay mama I can manage on my own", mama, "No Huey, you need to hold mamas hand because she can't manage" :)


Huey was thrilled to see that the train that was pulling the carriages was the same as the model train we had bought him last week when Noah and I went, we rode in 3rd class and had the carriage to ourselves it was lovely.


The train goes past Butterley station and across the Reservoir before doubling back and stopping at Butterley, "It's the sea, mama".


All in all we had a lovely time despite the rain and cold, my grandchildren are an absolute pleasure and delight to be with and I am greatly blessed. Thank you Lord.









No comments:

Post a Comment