Friday 9 September 2016

Be Protected

Monday is the day I visit my eldest daughter and her two boys, Noah and Huey. Normally I go for tea and spend a couple of hours with them, but during the summer holidays we have had a little more time. A couple of week ago we had mama Monday with a difference. They came over to pick me up staying for a little while before going to their house for tea. It was another glorious summer day so we decided to go out after tea when it was a little cooler.

Sarah put the boy’s bikes in the car and after a tea of pasta bake (chosen by Huey) we set off for Straws Bridge in Ilkeston so that the boys could ride their bikes along part of the Nutbrook trail. As we got out of the car there right in front of us was a water vole, I just didn't have time to get out my camera though before he was gone. The usual water fowl greeted us looking for a treat. There are swans, ducks, coots etc on the small but beautiful oasis along a busy road. 

There are three ponds close to one another, it really is a beautiful place to sit, relax and enjoy the scenery. There were the usual dog walkers, walkers without dogs, bike riders, runners, and of course serious photographers.


We didn't stay around the lake, Sarah got the boys bikes out of the car and we set off, Sarah and I walking the boys riding. Along the trail I found something interesting, (or so I thought) I have no idea what it is.




But of course then I had to speed up to catch up the bike riders. Noah stopped occasionally for us to catch up. There are small ponds along the route and also a stream. 

One thing I hadn't done before coming out was to spray myself with insect repellent. 

For some reason known only to the insects I am a favourite meal. When we had covered about a mile we turned to come back when they struck, three insects I swatted away off my arm, I honesty thought I'd caught them but no the next morning there they were great red lumps, sore and itching. After applying Anthisan they disappeared after a week, without that I am in real trouble and plagued for quite a while with constant itching.

I thoroughly enjoyed my walk with the boys even though I had been bitten but it would have been better if I had had a little forethought and applied the insect repellent.

As Christians we are warned in the Bible about the fiery darts of the devil, he aims to distract us from our walk with the Lord and if possible make us ineffectual for the kingdom. This isn’t just an annoying something this is spiritual warfare, you can’t just swat it away and rub on a bit of something to make you feel better! We are to have on the whole armour of God, the shield of faith which will stop his fiery arrows doing damage to our spiritual life. There are all sorts of arrows which come our way, temptations, distractions with friends and family which he will use,  problems at work, false teachings. Doubts he will fire at you, fears he will fire at you and all manner of other things, but if we have the shield of faith we will disarm these flights of fire that he sends to discourage us and make us spiritually weak.


A Christian on His knees in communion with His Father, trusting in His divine power and sovereignty will not be put to flight on the contrary it will be the devil himself that will be put to flight. Hold that shield at all times, and do not waver for we are on the victory side.

Enjoy your walk and fellowship with the Lord but make sure you are always protected. Ephesians 6:10-20.




No comments:

Post a Comment