Monday 12 September 2016

Memory Walk

All over Britain on Saturday 10th of September 2016, thousands of people joined together with one common cause, to walk to raise awareness and money for the Alzheimer's society who are fighting for a world without dementia. Many people had messages pinned to their back in support of a loved one. My daughter Hannah decided she would like to do this walk, the short one, (as I have dementia) this is a milestone for my daughter who has in the past been extremely ill and still is ill you can read her story here, Hannah Blavins.

I said that I would walk with her and so the Bacon’s ramblers were formed compromising myself, my daughter Hannah and her son Stanley (15 months old). We did one or two walks over the weeks leading up to it in preparation and then the day arrived and they picked me up at half nine in the morning so that we would be on time.

Then poor Stanley was really quite sick, we had to pull into a housing estate to get him cleaned up. Phil dropped us off and took Stanley home. Neither of us have done anything like this before and we are both quite nervous in crowds as it can make us ill. We prayed before setting off and in confidence that all would be well we set off. We got wetter and wetter and the rain continued to pour down, did this dampen our spirits? It did not. It was so lovely to see people along the way cheering us on, encouraging us and wherever we were we could hear the music from the main field which lightened our steps.


I decide I wouldn’t take my camera as I didn’t want the walk to take longer than necessary, I did take some photos on my phone (I just can’t help myself, you can see them on the above Memory Walk link) and of course when we came to water I had no choice but to stop and take some photos, (there was a heron) and at the old tree, and of the fungi, and of Wollaton Hall, apart from that I did very well. Hannah and I sang, danced and enjoyed the scenery. And having accomplished our goal we set off for home, first on the bus to Nottingham and then to Ripley (Hannah has never done such a journey on a bus). My daughter Sarah met us in Ripley and took us to our homes. So far our friends and family members have generously donated £360, for which we are very grateful.

When I got home I had my tea and slept for almost fourteen hours, I was absolutely fatigued but oh it was so worthwhile. :) 

I thought about the wonderful encouragement we received before and during the event, there were people willing to stand in the rain and cheer us all on. Being a Christian it made me realise again just how important it is for us to help one another, encourage one another, build one another up in the faith. No matter what we are going through ourselves, we will have storms in our life, just because you are a Christian that doesn’t mean that your life is going to be a bed of roses on the contrary, scripture tells us we will have troubles and trials. But we are to love one another, bear one another’s burdens, weep with those who weep, and comfort those with the same comfort that we have received. You may not be a preacher, teacher, singer, play an instrument, leader or any other such ministry but you can encourage. Think of someone today who you can encourage perhaps with a phone call, a letter, a visit, or just a listening ear. Or maybe they need your prayers, tell them you will pray for them and commit to do so. How blessed we are ourselves when we are a blessing to others.


Christine and Annice our dear sisters who have gone on to be with the Lord



No comments:

Post a Comment