Tuesday 11 October 2016

Rough Path?

As I recently shared in the previous post (Wet Shoes, Old Wreck, and Flies!) I went on holiday with my daughter and son-in-law and their two little dogs Juju and Sammy. One end of the beach at Camber Sands was really fine sand which was so lovely to walk on, the other end was harder to walk on because it was mostly pebbles especially when the tide was in.

I thought about this, and how as we take our journey along the path of life we all long for a smooth pleasant path. Sometimes it is but for most of us the path is not easy to walk on. We have so many problems in life, financial, health, family, work, all kinds of things make the path of life hard to walk on, and we wonder were we can get some relief. There are times of joy, and happiness, moments snatched from the ordinary humdrum of life that we manage to make special and precious, and how we cherish these moments and long that they could last.

Before I became a Christian I found life could be hard, I had so many pebbles and rocks in my path that sometimes I wondered if I could continue to walk this path. Abuse, divorce, death of my son, and oh so many other things that made the journey hard. But oh, those lovely precious moments with my family and my friends. Snatches of happiness.

Then my life changed, Jesus called me and I answered. He forgave my sins when I repented and I gave my life to Him. Did the path become lovely and smooth then to walk on? No, I didn't suddenly become immune to life's problems but because I'd been forgiven I was released from the bondage of sin, it no longer had a hold on me. I was free from guilt and shame, I had a joy in my heart that the world couldn't offer, a deep down joy that stays with me no matter what my circumstance, no matter how rough the path, no matter how big the problem it doesn't take away that joy. It doesn't take away either the peace I have because this joy and this peace don’t depend on my feelings, or my circumstance because it comes from God.



Am I perfect? No, so sometimes I will sin, sometimes I will fail God but God is faithful to His word and forgives and pardons me when I repent and turn to Him. My path is still not smooth but now I have a guide and helper, one who will not let me down, someone who is always with me in the darkest times as well as the best times. 


Jesus said to go to Him and He would give us rest for your weary soul


Is your soul weary, are you heavy laden with all of lives problems, are you weary of your sin? Give it all to Jesus and let Him help, guide and sustain you along life's journey. Believe me you'll never look back and long for the old path that you trod without Him. I was a sinner then without hope, now I’m a sinner saved by the grace of God with hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment