Thursday 31 August 2017

Go to the Ant

I had an old pine bed that had begun to break, so rather than burn it, I up-cycled it and made a bench. I've never made anything like this before, most of my up-cycling involves shoes, bags, and kitchen utensils being filled with succulents.


Having made it I had to find a home for it, I decided to put it on slabs on the front lawn. First I needed to dig out some of the lawn and so armed with spade and barrow, I set to work. I was happily tossing the sods of earth into the barrow when something caught my eye. Lots of tiny, honey coloured ants, apparently, they are meadow ants, scurrying to and fro carrying eggs. I had no choice but to take them and put them in the little wildlife patch at the top of the back garden. How franticly they worked to get their "home" back together, I would think that they were not at all pleased by this disturbance.



I would imagine that if you could commune with them and you told them about this huge being who had put them on a huge barrow to take them to a better place, they would not believe you. In fact, it sounds ridiculous. People are a lot like this, they cannot comprehend an everlasting God, they cannot comprehend a God who is three persons in one, and they cannot comprehend that one of these persons would come down to earth to help them. But He did.

It was my fault the ants had been disturbed, but they didn't know that I would make sure they were safe. But people are different, we are not like ants, we have a soul and a spirit that will continue to live on after the body is dead. It is man’s fault that he is a sinner, that he has violated Gods laws and that he will be punished for doing so. But God has made a way that will lead us to safety, He sent His Son, Jesus to die a cruel, shameful death on a cross to take the punishment for our sin. When we repent of our sin, and believe on Jesus, then we are born again. Before our spirit was dead in trespass and sin, but as soon as God by His grace forgives us and accepts us into his kingdom then our spirit is no longer dead, but alive. And He has promised that we will live with Him eternally.

The next time you see an ant, think about this, there is a vast world beyond its own that it cannot and will never comprehend. But for you and I God has given us His word, the Holy Bible because He wants us to know who we are, sinners, who He is, Almighty God. And He wants us to know His great love for us through Jesus. We do not have to be like the ant, ignorant of these things. I pray that God will challenge you as you read this, to come to Him for grace and mercy. 


If you already know Him, I pray you will grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ, and that you will be comforted and encouraged to know that no matter what your circumstances God is taking you to a safe place.

No comments:

Post a Comment