Thursday 3 August 2017

It Won't Hurt

Having decided that I needed to deal with my sugar intake, the following day I had a very tempting iced sponge cake thrust under my nose. It was a celebration of a friend’s birthday, I politely declined, being a little upset by my response, she urged me to take it, "You've got to have one, it's for my birthday." Aha, guilt tactics, whilst I did not want to cause offence to my dear sister in Christ, I did stick to my guns. Later I went shopping and found myself in the cake isle, and then the biscuit isle, and on the way to pay for my goods I found I was walking down the sweet isle, good grief, would the temptation proof too much. No, I continued to resist, and felt much better for doing so, knowing that in the long run it will be much better for my health if I continue to resist.

It is very rare that we will be tempted by something we have no desire for, or that we don't like. As a Christian, temptation comes upon us when we least expect it and in the areas, where we are most vulnerable, can we resist? It starts in the mind with thoughts such as, "it won't hurt you", "What's the big deal", "It will satisfy you", "God doesn't want you to be miserable, He wants you to be happy", "You're not hurting anyone else". And so, it continues as the thoughts then turn into desire, which when fulfilled, is sin.
James 1:14 But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed. 15 Then, when desire has conceived, it gives birth to sin; and sin, when it is full-grown, brings forth death.
I am, at the moment reading a book by Alistair Begg called, Hand of God, one chapter is entitled, A Powerful Response to Temptation. And has five ways in which to deal with it.
Immediately 
Realistically 
Ruthlessly 
Consistently 
Confidently 
Excellent advice, we should not give temptation, whether it comes from the devil, the world, or our own flesh room to manoeuvre. Scripture warns us of these three enemies. In various places.

1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
God will always provide a way out, unfortunately we do not always listen.

Temptation is not a game, when we submit to it, it ruins lives. There are numerous examples in the Bible, and they are a warning to us. Cain sinned despite Gods warning, and afterwards there was no sorrow or repentance. Peter was warned by Jesus, but Peter was full of grief when he sinned, he repented and was restored. This side of glory, we do still sin, but God in his grace and mercy forgives the one who has a contrite heart. The more we study the word of God, the more ammunition we have to fight our enemies which tempt us.

If I had taken that cake it would probably have led me to having another, and then another. It would eventually have an impact on my health if I continued to give in to tempting cakes etc. But the sins of the flesh, and ignoring Gods commands that is all going to take its toll on our spiritual life. When the Holy Spirit convicts us, we should heed His warning and not harden our hearts. We should try to be like David,
Your word I have hidden in my heart,
That I might not sin against You. Psalm 119:11


The pleasures of the world are temporal, 
but the pleasures and treasures of heaven are 
incorruptible and everlasting. 
Don't trade them in for fleeting worldly pleasures and treasures. 




No comments:

Post a Comment